"Where words fail, music speaks" - Hans Christian Andersen
Benefits of the program
There are many benefits of the MUSIC & MEMORY program. Personalized music can:
- Provide staff with a way to bring pleasure to individuals with advanced dementia - often the most difficult to reach
- Provide a means of communication and self expression when verbal language abilities are diminished
- Replace confusing environmental stimuli with something interpretable, like musical favourites, reducing boredom and loneliness
- Increase an individuals, cooperation, attentiveness and willingness to accept care
- Decrease agitation and provide distraction from fear and anxiety
- Make individuals more engaged with those around them
- Give family and staff a more meaningful way to connect with residents
- Provides a valuable tool for the effort to reduce reliance on antipsychotic, anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications
How MUSIC & MEMORY works
With family and resident involvement, personalized playlists are created using iPods. Listening to personalized music enables those struggling with Alzheimer's, dementia and other cognitive and physical changes to reconnect with the world through music-triggered memories.
MUSIC & MEMORY at Woodingford Lodge
To learn more about the positive effects of the MUSIC & MEMORY program that have been experienced at Woodingford Lodge by residents, their families and by staff view our video below.
Speak to a MUSIC & MEMORY representative at Woodingford Lodge today to receive a Music and Memory package, which is completed by the Resident and their family to determine music preferences which helps to create the Resident’s personalized playlist.
How to donate
The Woodingford Lodge MUSIC & MEMORY program is seeking volunteers in addition to donations of the following items:
- New or gently used iPods
- iTunes cards
- Monetary donations
To learn more about the MUSIC & MEMORY program, how to volunteer, or how to donate call 519-421-5556 or email email@example.com.