By Megan Lockhart, Archives Technician
“Everyone line up, stand up straight…okay big smiles now. One, two, three, cheese!” Does this sound familiar? Most of us are used to standing perfectly still with a big smile on our faces for photos. Nowadays, photos are even more staged for posting on social media. The perfect angle, the perfect lighting, the perfect backdrop. Sometimes photos are even staged to look candid when they really aren’t. This need to capture idealism in our photos is somewhat similar to the studio portraits from the earlier days of photography. Scenic backdrops, perfect posture, immaculate outfits, flattering angles, and carefully chosen props; studio portraits from the late 1800s and early 1900s were usually designed to portray an ideal image of a person or group of people. Perhaps the subject wanted to emit a masculine vibe or have the appearance of an intellectual, or maybe look wealthier than they actually were. While these photos are fascinating to look at, they don’t quite capture the true essence of daily life.
At the archives, we’re fortunate to have a variety of photographs in our collection that capture more “candid” or unplanned moments. These photos provide us with a peek into the more natural moments of daily life and human interactions. These images contain important social history information and capture the goings-on within the lives of Oxford County residents in different time periods throughout history. They are also just fun to look at!
Check out some of our “in the moment” photos below from our archival holdings. For more photos like these, check out our Instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/oxfordcountyarchives/?hl=en.
Dr. Pike and Thomas Charles Patteson cutting a tree, Eastwood, 25 December 1892 (1091ph. COA126 1.22)
Norwich Townline Road snow clearing (43ph)
Ron Ludwig getting his face painted at the YMCA's Glen Fisher's Camp (COA123 1-102)
Students streaming out of school - possibly former Ingersoll District Collegiate Institute building (COA123 1-264)
Woman lawn bowling. (COA123 1-328)
Two women looking at an exhibit prepared by the Ontario Hospital. (COA123 2-127)
Coaching Day at Ed Eddy's Farm - October 1959. (COA154)
Examining the vehicle traffic control board at the Woodstock Advanced Driving and Maintenance School - circa 1940 - 1943. (COA93)
Port Dover excursion train at Norwich Junction, 1917.
A history of the arenas in Plattsville, Ontario.
By Liz Dommasch, Archivist
As it’s that time of year, I thought it might be fun to take a look back at winter sports in the Village of Plattsville and specifically the evolution of the community hockey and curling rinks.
Although the Plattsville Curling Club has been in existence since 1867, it wasn’t until 1888 that the Plattsville Rink Company was formed for the purposes of building and operating a skating and curling rink in the village. Formed by James L. Brown, Physician; George Sauer, Bookkeeper; William M. Veitch, Merchant; Robert J. Neal, Merchant; James Baird, Cabinet Maker; George H. Milne, Painter; John Quandt, Turner; and Ralph Marshall, Miller; the Plattsville Rink Company oversaw the first rink that was built by George Young for the price of $1,709.00.
A photo of the Plattsville Hockey Club, circa 1907.
Situated on Douro Street, south of the lawn bowling green, this rink consisted of four sheets of curling ice which could be boarded in to make a hockey rink in the centre when needed. This arena was operational for 59 years until it was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1947. An open-air rink was then maintained in the park for the balance of the winter until a new arena could be completed the following year.
Plattsville Skating Rink Co. declaration, 5 March 1888.
The skating rink in Plattsville, Ontario
In 1948 a new arena was built on the northeast corner of Mill and Platt Streets that consisted of a fir frame, covered with galvanized iron, and seating on two sides with a standing room at the back end. The hockey dressing rooms were located in the basement while the skaters’ change rooms were on both sides of the main entrance. A large club room was located on the second floor and had a large glass-enclosed spectator’s room where the public could view the ice surface. The curling section of the new arena consisted of two artificial ice curling sheets with a large club room and adjoining kitchen.
In 1966 artificial ice was installed on the skating surface and a year later a concrete trap rock floor was added. This allowed for ice skating and hockey during the fall until early spring and then roller skating for the rest of the year. By the 1970s, the arena was ordered closed for not meeting government structural standards and construction began on a new arena with an expanded ice surface. Located on the same site as the former arena, the contract was awarded to XDG Construction from Kitchener. Interestingly, the former arena was demolished, at no cost, by a group of Mennonites from Elmira, in return for the materials from the old structure.
In recent years, an 11,485 square foot, design-built project was completed which overhauled the existing arena and curling club. Completed by Ball Construction, this project saw a new addition being built which involved a reconfiguration and renovation of the Plattsville Curling Club and includes a new refrigeration plant.
Fun Fact: hockey has been a popular sport in the Village of Plattsville since the late 1800s. In 1904 and 1907, the Plattsville Hockey Club were O.W.H.A. champions.
In January 1949, a destructive blaze gutted the Princeton Continuation School.
Plans began in March 1894 to build the new Union School at Princeton which would combine the School Sections No. 3 Burford and No. 21 Blenheim. Located at the east end of Elgin Street, the school was modeled after the school in St. George with double red brick walls, a large chimney, two furnaces, and a slate roof. A bell, purchased from Duncan K. Fair, was hung in the belfry located at the front of the building. Built by Clarkson Brothers the school also consisted of two large classrooms upstairs and two recreation rooms downstairs. Completed at the cost of approximately $6,000, classes were moved to the new school in February 1895.
In January 1912, the school became a continuation school with George L. Brackenburg, as principal and senior teacher, while Myrtle Edminston and Marie Stales were hired as elementary school teachers. Two years later, a fourth room was required for teaching when the Continuation School hired a second teacher, M.D. McDonald. The Continuation School used the upstairs rooms to teach grades eight to twelve, while the public school used the downstairs rooms. In 1930, under Principal E.L. Crossley, the two schools were separated, with grades one to eight being taught downstairs.
On the evening of January 12, 1949, a fire, which was believed to have originated in the basement, gutted the recently renovated 70-year-old structure. The fire was first noticed by School Trustee Charles Austin, about 6:45 pm, who notified the Princeton Fire Department. Sadly, it was soon discovered that the local chemical fire truck wasn’t working and fire departments from both Woodstock and Paris were contacted and quickly responded to the scene.
Three young boys holding a sign that reads “danger keep back” in front of the Princeton Continuation School following a fire that destroyed the building. – 12 January 1949. COA123 3-122
The volunteer bucket brigade headed by Fire Chief Roy Carson led hundreds of district residents in a gallant but losing battle to save the building. The Woodstock Sentinel-Review reported that eight or ten milk trucks were kept busy from the time of the outbreak to around 10 o’clock carrying water in milk cans to the fire engines, which poured hundreds of gallons on the blaze. Although the building was ultimately destroyed, they were able to keep the fire from spreading despite high winds.
Men on Princeton fire truck. – [before January 1950]. COA123 4-21
Temporary teaching quarters were found in the Memorial Library, I.O.O.F. Hall, Anglican Parish Hall and the United Church Basement to house the 128 pupils that attended the school at the time. On September 1, 1949, the high school pupils were sent by bus to Woodstock and the new modern Princeton School was used solely for elementary students.
Two cars parked in front of the Princeton Continuation School following a fire that destroyed the building. – 12 January 1949. COA123 3-125
We’ve reached the end of another year at the Oxford County Archives. We find ourselves still in the midst of a pandemic, but we have experienced some return to normalcy this year. We thought we would provide an overview of what we accomplished at the archives this year, including exciting news and updates.
After being closed to the public for over a year, we were thrilled to be able to reopen in August of this past year. We are currently open by appointment only Monday to Wednesday, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (but will temporarily be closed for the holidays from December 24 to January 2). If you would like to book a research appointment at the archives please contact us at least 48 hours in advance. Despite being closed for a year, we received a steady stream of archival record donations from the community, and our staff has been busy processing our backlog of donations. Thank you to the Oxford County community and beyond for continuing to support our goals of preserving and making accessible Oxford County’s archival heritage for future generations.
This past spring we started an exciting new venture by creating “Pioneer Kits” for spring break. The kits included crafts, educational resources, recipes, and activities for children, youth, and families to purchase and enjoy for the week off school. The kits provided interactive lessons on pioneer life in Oxford County and Ontario while also providing some much-needed entertainment! We also encouraged families to check out our online game “Pioneer Life in Oxford County”. Stay tuned for similar educational programs for 2022.
In April, the archives took part in the Oxford County Library’s virtual “Local History Day” and provided a video that examined the history of photography, including tips and guidelines for dating your historical family photographs. Our staff also provided information on preserving photographs at home. The video is available on the OCL’s YouTube channel.
Throughout the year, we added more resources to our printable activities page. This page contains educational colouring pages, activity sheets, word games, craft instructions, recipes, and more related to local history and holidays. We recently added a variety of “retro Christmas” activity pages to our “Christmas in the County” webpage focusing on the historical traditions, songs, recipes, and pop culture of the holiday season from the 1930s to 1980s. We have also added a large amount of research and archival resources to our website, which has increased the accessibility of some of our records. These resources and records include vital stats, military records, school records, voters’ lists, House of Refuge and County Gaol (jail) records, municipal records, and more. Check out our “online resources” page online for more information.
During the pandemic, our staff began the digitization of our immense collection of Woodstock Sentinel-Review negatives. The images that have been digitized thus far have all dated from circa 1930s to 1950s and feature local events, residents, and locations, many of which currently remain unidentified. Identifying the content of these images will be an important future project as the collection contains a wealth of important social history information. Over 2,000 negatives from this collection have been digitized to date.
A photograph from the archives' collection of Woodstock Sentinel-Review negatives. Unidentified triplets are holding stockings out for Santa Claus. COA123 3-133
A significant, ongoing project at the archives is the collection of archival material related to COVID-19. We want to capture this event as we live through it, so these materials will be available for future generations as one day it will be considered historically significant. If you would like to contribute stories, photos, videos, documents, artwork, and more related to your pandemic experience please contact us.
We look forward to the exciting new projects that next year brings. Have a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season!
Ever wondered about the origins of your favourite party game? Read on to find out!
As one of the oldest forms of social interaction, humans have invented and played a variety of games since the dawn of ancient civilization. However, by the 19th century, as the upper and middle classes gained more leisure time, gaming became a popular form of entertainment, especially at parties. Instead of watching TV or playing video games like we do today, Victorians spent their time creating and partaking in a wide range of simple games, many of which as still played today including Charades, Blind Man’s Bluff, I Spy, Twenty Questions, and Wink Murder. Other games have been transformed into board games, such as Balderdash (once known as Fictionary). Such games were not just limited to adults, as by the late 1800s, children were given more opportunities to play not only with toys, but develop games that could be played at school, the park, or at social gatherings. Let’s take a look at some of these beloved childhood games that are still being played today:
One of the most beloved children’s games to have withstood the test of time is “Duck, Duck, Goose”. It’s not entirely known when the game was invented, but it is believed to have Swedish roots. The earliest written reference to the game was in a 1919 children’s book.
In 1887, a craze swept the United States, called “Donkey Party”. Originally created in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it would later be known as the game “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” A staple at every child’s birthday party, the game was played much like it still is now, with one player being blindfolded and spun around three times before attempting to attach a pin to the picture of a donkey. The closest player to the actual tail is the winner.
The game of Red Rover (which inevitably always led to someone getting hurt in gym class!) is said to have started in the 19th century in the United Kingdom as a way to educate children about warfare and the use of strategy to break the solidarity of the enemy. From the United Kingdom the game eventually spread to North America, Australia, and other parts of the world. For example, in Russia, the game is called “Ali Baba” while in Hungary it is called “Send a king, a soldier”.
Children playing a game in class, COA123 Woodstock Sentinel-Review Negative fonds
Originally called “Trip to Jerusalem”, the origins of “Musical Chairs” is unknown, however, it has been played for centuries in many different countries. One theory suggests that the name was inspired by the Crusades, wherein several heavy losses were incurred. Another theory suggests that it was inspired by the Aliyah, the immigration of Jews from the diaspora to the Land of Israel. However, neither theory has ever been confirmed. Regardless, the game of musical chairs has not only become a popular party game, it has become a metaphor in popular culture to describe any activity where items or people are repeatedly and, usually, pointlessly shuffled among various locations or positions.
Finally, the party game “Hot Potato” involves players gathering in a circle and tossing a small object such as a beanbag or even a real potato to each other while music plays. The player who is holding the object when the music stops is eliminated. Although the origins of the game are not clear, it may be traced back to 1888 when Sidney Oldall Addy’s Glossary of Sheffield Words describes a similar game using a lighted candle. By the 1950s manufactured Hot Potato games could be found on store shelves. Remco’s late 1950’s version used small plastic pans for each player, covered up so that the loser-to-be wouldn’t be revealed until the proper time. In the 1960s, “Spudsie” was created that would be wound up before each game. When it would eventually wind down, Spudsie would give off a “ding” signaling whoever was holding it at the time was eliminated.
So many of these games have been passed down amongst the generations and have become family traditions as well as birthday party favourites. What sorts of games did you play as a child? Did you have a favourite game or activity that you used to play with friends or family? I hope this recap has brought back some fond memories of past functions and celebrations.
COA123 Woodstock Sentinel-Review Negative fonds (#2-84 and #2-85 – [before January 1950])
Welcome! Our blog provides a perspective on the Oxford County Archives beyond the vault and delves into the fascinating stories found within our collection. Get to know our staff, discover what we do at the archives and learn more about Oxford County's cultural heritage. Updates on our services, programs and events will also be shared right here on this blog!
COVID-19: Oxford County follows guidance from Southwestern Public Health and the Government of Ontario. See updates on our programs and services at www.oxfordcounty.ca/COVID-19