Oxford County's Injury Prevention Team is committed to reducing the number of injuries caused while cycling. Of special concern, are the severe injuries that can result from collision involving cyclists and motor vehicles.
The following information is designed as a guide for both cyclists and motorists alike to "share the road" for the safety of everyone, whether you are on two wheels or four.
Oxford County's "Share the road" launch - April, 2014
Share the Road
- Be Safe Be Seen – wear bright coloured clothing. If riding at dusk or night, have reflective strips on clothing, front white light and rear red light.
- When riding on rural roads, ride as close to the edge as possible.
- A cyclist must yield to pedestrians, the same as required of drivers.
- A cyclist is not permitted to ride a bike in a pedestrian crosswalk or crossover, but must walk across with the bike.
- When approaching an intersection, take your turn. Watch for vehicles signalling to turn right.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Avoid driving in the blind spot of cars or trucks.
- When riding in town, ride at least 1 meter from the side of the road and from parked cars.
- Be aware of drivers in parked cars opening their doors.
- Pass a bicycle, only when there is room and it is safe to do so. More than one meter must be allowed between the bike and car.
- Be aware that a cyclist may ride in any part of the lane if their safety warrants it.
- When making a right turn, check that you are not cutting off a cyclist.
- When making a left turn, watch for approaching bicycles. They may be going faster than you think.
- When parked on the side of the road, always check for approaching bicycles before opening the car door.
- At railway crossings, stay behind until the cyclist has crossed the tracks.
- Do not stop or drive in a bicycle lane.
More Resources/Tips for you
*Thumbs Up used with permission from DalTRAC
The County of Oxford's website features a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping tool.
The interactive tourism map allows cyclists to see preferred cycling roads, gravel roads for mountain biking and the location of "Share the road" signs that have been installed.
Cycling Advisory Committee
Oxford County also has a Cycling Advisory Committee. The committee is made up of representatives from each area municipality within Oxford County, including councillors, municipal staff, local police, and members of the cycling community. The Cycling Advisory Committee's role is to foster a bike-friendly community that encourages people to use the bicycle for recreation and as an alternate, environmentally friendly mode of transportation.